Thursday 26 September 2013


When traveling on a plane we need to know a few things before we start packing our bags, like the weight restrictions and the amount of liquids that we can carry. Airline authorities have become very strict about what we can carry on the plane, especially after the 9/11 attack on the world trade center. Many times I go to the airport praying that the security will allow the items that I have in my hand bag like the new designer perfume that I bought for my niece. Most of the time, the gifts that I have brought for my family are left at the security check points leaving me exasperatedly asking the nonchalant guards what can I take on a plane. Well if you have experienced this you will understand my frustration and if you haven't I wish that you never do.

Carry-On Baggage Items

Passengers are allowed one carry on bag per passenger according to the Transportation Security Administration. I used to wonder what can I take on a plane as hand luggage until a friend explained to me the 3-1-1 rule. This is what I understood about what can I take on a plane with me after looking at the carry on luggage rules and restrictions. Since 9/11 the restrictions on the amount of liquids that can be carried on to the plane has changed drastically. Your travel will become smoother and faster if you carry your toiletries in 1 clear plastic zip lock bag and the volume of the liquids you are carrying should not exceed 100ml. If you are carrying medicines they need not be carried in a zip lock bag but it will help if you carry the prescription. Baby formula and breast milk can also be taken on the plane but please declare it at the security check point. I was still thinking what can I take on a plane if I am thirsty and the answer is quite simple. If you want to carry water on board, you will have to buy it from the shops which are in the secure area after you cross the airport security check. If you want to take perfumes on the plane you will also have to buy these from the shops in the secure area. See below a list of items that are not allowed in your carry-on luggage, this is not a conclusive list, this is just to give you an idea about what you can't carry.
  • Ice Picks
  • Razors
  • Knives
  • Baseball Bats
  • Golf Sticks
  • Ski Poles
  • Hockey Sticks
  • Firearms
  • Ammunition
  • Flares
  • Lighters
  • Matches
  • Hammers
  • Axes
  • Saws
  • Gasoline
  • Lighter Fluids
  • Fire Extinguishers
  • Spray Paint
Checked Baggage Items

When it comes to checked baggage weight and size restrictions are the most important things that you would have to look up and these may vary depending upon the airline and the class that you are traveling. I also wanted to know what can I take on a plane in checked luggage and I was advised about a few things which really helped me. The rule of 100ml liquid bottles does not apply to checked baggage so you can travel with your perfumes and deodorants in your checked baggage. If you are carrying any sharp objects like knives or scissors, you will have to cover the blades with a sheath, to avoid injury to security officers and baggage handlers. Thousands of people travel everyday and there is a risk that your luggage set may get lost or stolen, so it's advisable that you keep your jewelry and precious items in your carry on bag. One important air travel tip is to put your laptop and precious items in your carry on bag to avoid thefts at airports. It is also advisable to clearly mark your bag for identification as the airline tags might come of. See below a list of items that are not allowed in your checked in baggage, this is not a conclusive list.
  • Pesticides
  • Car Batteries
  • Acids
  • Alkalies
  • Matches
  • Aerosols
  • Radioactive Material
  • Magnets
I always wanted to know what can I take on a plane before I started packing my bags or even before I thought of a trip. Conforming to the safety and security norms and being aware of these norms makes modern-day travel much safer and faster.

0 comments:

Post a Comment