Monday 30 September 2013

How to Travel After Filing U.S. Immigration Form I-485

U.S. Immigration Form I-485 is used by people who want to apply to adjust to permanent resident status. If the I-485 application is pending, traveling outside the U.S. can lead to denial of the I-485 application. Such travel is only permitted if the person still has a valid immigration visa or an approved advance parole document. To get an advance parole document, an applicant must fill out and submit Form I-131 to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. It generally takes 90 days for USCIS to process and approve the application.

Instructions

Eligibility

    1

    You should apply for an I-131, or advance parole document, while you are in U.S. You must receive the approved document before traveling outside the U.S. and you must carry it while traveling. The processing time for the application is approximately 90 days.

    2

    If you have an emergency and need to travel immediately, you have to submit the application with proof of the emergency. A parole document under this circumstance is applied on a case-by-case basis and does not guarantee immediate approval.

    3

    You can also apply for the document if you are outside the U.S. and need to visit for emergency humanitarian reasons. Apply with the proof and necessary documents. Again, approval is made on a case-by-case basis. A person living in the U.S. can apply for the I-131 on your behalf and must explain this in the form.

Instructions to Apply for I-131

    4

    Open an Internet Web browser and go to uscis.gov

    5

    Click on the "Forms" tab on the top of the homepage. It will direct you to the page showing a table of all forms available to download.

    6

    Look for Form I-131 (Application for Travel Document). Download Form I-131 and instructions to file the form.

    7

    Fill out the form. Attach necessary documents to the application. Along with the completed Form I-31, you will need two identical photographs, a copy of proof of identity (passport, driver's license, approved work authorization document), and a copy of the I-797C notice of action showing that your I-485 application was received by USCIS. You also will need a copy of your marriage certificate if applying for your spouse, and birth certificate of your child if applying for your child. You will need proof of valid immigration status. If your I-140 application has been accepted and approved, attach a copy of that as well. You also must also pay the required fees.

    8

    Mail the application package along with a cover letter to USCIS. The mailing address depends on your place of residence in the U.S.

0 comments:

Post a Comment